Well our life has changed drastically since my last post. Our little girl, Shea Ella Olson, decided to come 2 weeks early to see her mommy & daddy. Here's the labor story minus the gory details:
The evening of Thursday the 13th I got home from school (after making sure I was fairly organized for a sub...just in case) and felt really tired (more tired than normal) but still felt like I needed to do 2 loads of laundry and some other cleaning around the house (nesting). At 12:30 that night I woke up for my usual bathroom break and noticed some contractions going on but wasn't sure if it was just braxton hicks still even though they felt a little different. I woke up again at 1:30 in the morning and knew labor must have started because it was so uncomfortable I couldn't fall back asleep and I started planning who I would call first from school to make sure they tracked down my sub (I know, I know, some of you are thinking that is the last thing that should have been on my mind). At 4:00 am I decided to get out of bed and take a shower because I obviously wasn't falling asleep again. After my shower around 4:30 am I realized my water broke. I then decided it was time to wake up Aaron and let him know what was going on. He seemed to think it was false alarms and asked me "are you sure your water broke?" and then said "let me just sleep a little longer". Later he said he didn't believe me because in Lamazze they tell you all these stories where people get sent back home from the hospital because of false alarms. Well....I FINALLY convinced him to get out of bed and he proceded to take the longest shower ever, shaved and all, gelled his hair, and took his time finishing packing his bag while I am pacing the kitchen trying to time my increasingly painful contractions telling him to hurry up. He even asked me "should I wear my suit in case they send us home and I can go to work?" Are you serious?? My water broke buddy they are not sending us home. We finally arrived at the hospital at 6:30 am on Friday, May 14th. They confirmed my water had broke, and soon I was dilated to a 5 and 90%. I decided to wait a little bit for my epiduaral because most labors are a whole day event the first time, well not me. Before I new it my contractions were so bad that they were pinching Shea's umbilical cord so her heart beat dropped dramatically during contractions but luckily rebounded back in between (very scary). Because of this they had me wired to all these devices and constantly had me changing positions to try to help relieve the pressure on the cord....so needless to say I couldn't get in the position to get an epidural....ALL NATURAL baby! Ouch!!!! It does make me wonder though if I would have gotten an epidural if I would have ended up with a c-section because I wouldn't have been able to move around to help baby's heart beat. Luckily my labor went pretty quick, I pushed 3 times (I think Aaron will hurry up more next time..haha) and our beautiful baby girl was born at 11:01 am on Friday, May 14th!! It was amazing to see her and hold her for the first time...Aaron and I fell instantly in love, there are now words to explain the experience and feelings when it happens to you. Here are a few of her first pictures:




2 comments:
She is so precious and I still can not believe you did it without DRUGS!!!
You go girl! What a great story. Congrats on your little beauty!
Post a Comment